Thursday, September 26, 2013

Way Late & Too Many (Thousands of) Dollars Short

One of the things I committed myself to doing more frequently is updating my blog.  I have more than enough to write about, given how insane this world is and the myraid of issues that have drawn my attention.  However, I find that the issues unfold so rapidly that I can't seem to keep up because the moment I take my eye off of MSNBC or Twitter or any other medium modern technology affords me---just to write, I find that I am already late and behind the eight ball on any number of topics; just pick one.

Take my last post.

The last post was nearly a year ago in the wake of the Newtown shootings here in my state of Connecticut. Since that traqgedy, gun violence in Connecticut hasn't ceased anymore than it has in any other state in the U.S.,and I definitely feel hurt by al of it; the only difference, to me, is that I haven't written about it, publicly.

This was not a conscious decision on my part as things in my own life have interferred with my ability to have the time to write; mainly my health and the need to earn a living to afford the daily necessities that just seem to get more and more expensive.

I love writing.  I love thinking about issues and writing my thought and perspectives on them.  I have very strong ideas about the direction I think we should go in and the direction I think we are headed and I have every desire and intent to express them, publicly.  But what am I to do when that interferes with my ability to provide for my family?

Most people want to do what it is they love. I don't know an adult on the face of this earth who would turn down a liveable salary that afforded them the pleasure of living their dreams. Yet, some in our country and in our governing bodies seem to think that not everyone deserves to be happy, despite the fact this clause is written explicitly in those writings of the founding fathers they cling to so mercilessly.

The Ted Cruz's of the world seem to think that if you were born poor, female, black, brown, yellow, red, or beige, disabled, gay, are elderly or under the age of 26 that you deserve exactly what they see fit for you to have or not have.  What that is, exactly, can never and should never be equal to what it is they have.  They preach opportunity, but promote a sub-standard way of life for some, including those whom they pimp at the polls.

That is not freedom.  It is political prostitution and it is immoral.

When it comes to living out what Dr. Martin Luther King called the "true meaning of... [the nation's] creed," some have decided that equality no longer has a place in America so long as a person of color runs America. It's the same old bogus bullshit, it's just wrapped in a nice, "new," politically correct pacakaging.  They codify it using sound bites and hashtags, but the meaning---moreover, the sentiment---is still the same, if not worse.

My grandmother used to say, "if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one doing what he knows he shouldn't be," and politics is no different.  We have been throwing rocks for years.  When an entire political party cannot attest to the validity of the certification of a President that was voted for democratically, mostly by Democrats, or find reasons to justify taking $1.35 lunches from babies they don't even care to protect from gun violence, then they have a problem and not only do we know it, but they do as well.

Not only are they way late and many thousands of dollars short in catching up with where the REAL America of 2013 is, they deny that the America of 2013 even exists.  The idea that this America, our America, looks no different than it did in 1963 is beyond the pale; it is schizophrenic, for they have given in to seeing things, images, ways of life and viewpoints that just no longer exist.  Congress and many state legislatures are not beacons of governance, they are mental institutions for the negligent and the politically insane.  And at this point all I can say to them, and to myself, really, is "catch up!"  We've got work to do.  We can no longer afford to be in the business of crazy.  It is killing us all and if we aren't careful, it will once again kill the Union, if only metaphorically.

With that, I welcome you back into my world where the left is (almost) always right and so is the true majority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment